Friday, December 11, 2009

TGIF and the working world...

Well hallelu-yer (in honor of Madea) it is Friday....for most folks, but in the world of Real Estate we work 24/7 and no day is ever Friday, but I am thankful for my job, and for my hubby for having the gumption 10 years ago to open our own company. Wieland Properties (our Real Estate firm) will be celebrating our 10th anniversary in 2010, and each day I thank my lucky stars, and mainly our clients, for the opportunity to work this job. The hours are long, the pay is nothing (for me that is) but I am always thankful for each day. I no longer have to toil in the world of pharmacy anymore....I used to count pills in my sleep!! ...and I would have panic attacks worrying that the medications did not get down to the nursing home in time, except those attacks would come in the middle of the night after a dream/nightmare...but no more! I have been out of that business for almost 6 years now and I give thanks each and every day I am now self employed.



Now, of course my dream job is to be an artist full time, but like most artists you have to do something to supplement the income. While the vast majority of us (artists) are doing it because we love to create, because we must create, we all know there is not a lot of money in what we do. The great thing about us (artists) is that we all support one another...well MOST do. Some think they are high and mighty, or as we say "hoity toity" and don't appreciate others art, but if you just support a person in their dream, you've done a good deed and have paid it forward. Be supportive! If you find someone that is not supportive, tries to tear you down as an artist, just don't listen! It's usually either ignorance or jealousy, or a combination of both....or maybe just poor upbringing (in the South you'd hear someone say THEY JUST AIN'T HAD NO "RAISINS" -- AKA poor upbringing) so ignore "those" people who can't help themselves....and DO YOUR THING!! Have fun, enjoy, create....LOVE your art, be enthusiastic about what you have made, share it with others...don't be scared. Wendy Prentice, my mentor and dear friend, says this "To those of you who aspire to be an artist, just be one. To those of you who are an artist, be a friend." Need I say more! She's a true gem that Wendy is...visit her at http://www.wendyprentice.com/ for some fun & funky art.



I hope everyone has a great weekend! I am getting ready to leave the office. It only took me a mere 8 hours to write this post today, and I think I did well to make this one #3 in ONE MONTH already! I have been at work in the office today, sshhhhh don't tell....while working on this post, so 8 hours is pretty good for a few paragraphs don't ya think?!! Take care all...TTFN!!

3 comments:

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Your post is wonderful well worth the 8 hours you spent on it. At least that is easy for me to say.
So you are the other sister of the Coastal Sisters. I have been displaying your art on my site but have only met LuLu thru blogging that is.
I have been wondering who paints the mermaids. Is it you? They are beautiful and I am saving up for one to buy.
Take care and Happy Holidays
Maggie

LuLu Kellogg said...

I can't wait until we are both in the same studio! Do you think we will ever get anything done with all the chattering we will do? Not to mention all the Cheezits, Rinky-Dinks, Crackcakes and that cheeze you squirt out of the can we will consume!

I love you my sweet sister!!

LuLu~*xoxo

LuLu Kellogg said...

p.s. I am SO glad you were able to squeeze in some time to post!!

LOVES!!!!!!